Love this concept and sending out a request to everyone who is over halfway of this 30 day challenge to remember this and give away your smiles tomorrow for 2013 LEAP RAK (Random Act of Kindness) Tuesday 🙂 You are AWESOME!!!
Day 16 – In August last year I began a 40B440 List – 40 things I wanted to achieve before my 40th Birthday. One of these was to try something new for every Sunday in January. I had never made scones in my 39years on this wonderful planet! So when my nana requested some this weekend it was a perfect opportunity. My first cheese scones were a hit! Thanks for the lemondade tip from one of my LeapStars Hope and my husband Riwai was amazed that in nearly 10 years of knowing me I have never made scones! Nom Nom Nom.
Cates Cheesy Lemonade Scones
300 mls of cream
300 mls of sprite lemonade
1 cup of grated tasty cheese
3 cups of self raising flour
Turn on oven to 210 degrees
Sift flour and add cheese to a bowl, then add cream and lemonade.
Mix with a flat knife until all ingredients are mixed in.
Turn out onto well-floured board or table and pat into an oval shape about 15 – 20mm high.
Transfer mixture to a greased cold tray and score into scones sizes you desire.
Add a handful of grated cheese over the top of the scones
Bake for 12mins and check with sharp knife that no mixture is sticking.
Remove from oven and cut into shapes
Transfer into wire basket and cover with a tea towel to keep them fresh
Serve warm with jam, butter, cream or your favourite topping
Todays Cates Thoughts to Ponder is inspired for all those going through tough times and in particular those families who have been affected by the fires and hot weather in Australia and NZ.
Gratitude enhances positive emotions and improves health. It is one of the most wonderful tools you can learn to enhance you in all aspects of life. Let’s face it. It’s cool to be grateful. Oprah made it a worldwide phenomenon when she started encouraging gratitude on her live shows, many big names practice gratitude to assit in reaching their goals.. And, there’s a reason it’s so popular. Focusing on what you have and not what you lack is one of the most simple and wonderful ways to learn to appreciate your life and the people in it.
For some, gratitude comes easily. For others, it takes work. Here are some ways I’ve found to revive the gratefulness perspective:
Exercise I know I am preaching to the converted here but before you step out you are down on your life, annoyed by your family and friends and generally irritated by everything. During your favourite exercise session something happens. Life opens up. You get perspective. You start to notice the beauty around you. You appreciate the strength of your body. Post-run your head is clear and you are often able to feel and see the gifts around you.
Be the very best version of you ever! This is the single most important thing to do if you want to feel better about your life. be Stop comparing yourself to others. Focus on being you! This is your day, your journey, your race, your family, your relationship, your job. Make it a point to be the best person you can possibly be!
Be Grateful at the same time everyday. Make being grateful a part of your day just like brushing your teeth. I do an inventory last thing at night before I turn out the light. I focus on things that are going right in my life and the people who I cherish. If I’m dealing with a particular struggle or challenge, I look to what I can learn from the situation to make it make me better in the future. I am always grateful for the gifts the challenge brings.
Give to others. Sometimes we get so stuck in our heads about what our personal challenges are. When we reach out and take time for others, gratitude and a sense of well being are returned. Practice regular Random Act of Kindness and see what happens. Send a friend a card. Volunteer at an old folk’s home. Buy a stranger a cup of coffee.
Stop thinking it should be a certain way. When we get caught up in an ideal of how we think life needs to be, we become inflexible. We get let down. We forget to be grateful. Do your best to accept how life is unfolding for you right now. This doesn’t mean you can’t have dreams and a preference for how you would like things to go. But, do not be tied to that plan. Sometimes the best thing is to take a deep breathe, go with the flow, be adaptable.
Expect that something magical will happen every day. We are taught to have very high expectations for ourselves. This can lead to feeling like these are not met when things don’t go to plan. Instead we can wake up every morning and expect something magical will happen that day. Then we will subconsciously seek it out all day.
Smile at a strangers. A smile costs absolutely nothing and can bring so much joy to you and the person you smile at….
Happy Gratitude LeapStars xx
YAY You!! How fabulous that you are already 12 days into your challenge and nine days into the year. I know you have important priorities for 2013 so let’s make sure you make them happen.
The key is to make those “resolutions” and life desires into a game plan. Why? Because Resolutions have a reputation for not happening, right? If you want a resolution to work, it needs to be focused, action-based, and strategic.
Action-based: commit to DOING something measurable. Talk is cheap, action is priceless. Focused: make it about changing ONE thing at a time. The more specific, the better. Strategic: you are changing an existing system in your life. Be smart about how you do it.
Let’s take a typical resolution – for instance “I want to lose 5 kg’s.” Now, let’s make it focused and action based. You do this by asking yourself: what’s ONE action I can take consistently this month to help me donate weight?
Feel the difference? You’re focusing on ONE concrete action now, the action that will make the biggest difference. Now, most people trying to change their eating habits have a “weak point” in their day where their will power fails them. You want to protect yourself from that. If you’re going to change one thing, try changing that one weak point. Let’s say that your weak point is that, when you get home from work, you snack on too many snacks.
I love the 50 life lessons that are ciculating around again. The coolest thing is that the urban myth is Regina Brett is 90years old. The truth is she is only 54 which excites me incredibly – because imagine how many more pearls of wisdom she will share with us in the next 36 years! Smiles & Hugs and I hope you enjoy Regina’s list as much as I do 🙂 Cx
January 7th, 2013 by Regina Brett www.reginabrett.com
A year ago, my book “Be the Miracle” came out.
Tomorrow, it comes out in paperback.
People often ask me why I wrote it.
My life has been full of miracles. Growing up with ten siblings, being a single mom for 18 years and getting through breast cancer all taught me that we’re all here to be the miracle for others.
Imagine what would happen if each of us decided to be the miracle for someone else.
How do you do that? All you have to do is make a beginning:
1. Start where you are.
2. Get busy on the possible.
3. You can make a big difference, no matter how little you make.
4. Magnify the good.
5. Do your best and forget the rest. It could simply be too soon to tell.
6. We all do the same things. It’s how we do them that makes the difference.
7. Interruptions are divine assignments.
8. Adjust your own oxygen mask before helping others, or you’ll be of no use to anyone– including you.
9. Instead of treating people the way you want to be treated, treat people the way they want to be treated.
10. If you want to see a miracle, be the miracle.
11. Everyone matters to somebody.
12. Speak up for others, especially when they aren’t present to speak up for themselves.
13. Give birth to yourself every day.
14. Sometimes it’s enough to make one person happy.
15. The secret of life is no secret. It’s sprinkled all over your life.
16. If you can’t be the rock, be the ripple.
17. Give as if the world is your family, because it is.
18. Everyone is either your student or your teacher. Most people are both.
19. Pray like you mean it.
20. Arrive early.
21. Dream big.
22. Consult your own soul. Deep inside you already know the answers you need.
23. Get in the game.
24. God doesn’t always call the strong. Sometimes you have to be weak enough to serve.
25. When you have nothing but faith, you have enough.
26. Be a good monk. Make your life a prayer.
27. Believe in abundance.
28. Shine your light, no matter how dark the world around you appears.
29. Comfort the sick. When everyone else flees, be the one who stays.
30. You have an endless supply of abundance from a wealthy Father who loves you, and so does everyone else.
31. Carry as you climb.
32. Be an original. Forge your own path.
33. Harness the power of hope.
34. Watch well your words. Practice restraint of tongue and pen.
35. No matter what happens, don’t take it personally. Take it spiritually.
36. The world needs your Yes!
37. Empower your power by joining forces.
38. You are a child’s most important teacher.
39. What you think about, you bring about.
40. Aim higher.
41. Make someone else’s dream come true.
43. A saint is someone who knows how much God loves them.
44. Don’t quit before the miracle happens.
45. Make amends as soon as you can, while you still can.
46. Silence the noise. In times of doubt or indecision, pause and make room for God.
47. To be a channel of peace, you have to stay open.
48. God will not have His work made manifest by cowards.
49. Leave a legacy time can’t erase.
50. If you woke up today, God isn’t through with you yet.
There were days during cancer when I wondered if God might be through with me, when I was bald, sick and too weak to walk around the block.
That was 15 years ago.
Every day above ground is one big miracle.
Day 12 – Did you know you have a finite amount of willpower each day because for the brain to exercise willpower you need energy in the form of oxygen and glucose. That’s why it is harder to say no when you are tired or not feeling well. Of course you can boost your will power with healthy eating, a good nights rest and moving more. And now that you have this awareness it is also a good idea to avoid your sticky situtations that require willpower when your resources are low. In other words if you are trying to change and eating habit, avoid the biscuit jar, don’t drive past BK on the way home and avoid people (whereever possible) who are doing the one thing you are trying to modify and instead hang out with those who are doing something similar.
Day 11. Believe you can and you are halfway there! Go my LeapStars – I believe you are on fire for 2013! I am loving http://youtu.be/J91ti_MpdHA Alicia Keys – This Girl is on Fire! The words are so great to kick start 2013 🙂 Happy Magical Monday remember – People do not decide to became extraordinary. They decide to accomplish Extra ordinary things” – Sir Edmund Hillary.
I found this some time and I just love it so just had to share!
Simple but effective ways to life a wonderful life. Enjoy 🙂 xx
Thank you Leonie – You are amazing xx http://leoniedawson.com/